New lease of life for old Ballymoney Church School

By karen

The old school house in the grounds of St Patrick's Ballymoney before it was refurbished.

The old school house in the grounds of St Patrick’s Ballymoney before it was refurbished.

The Old Church School in the grounds of St Patrick’s Parish Church, Ballymoney, has been given a new lease of life.

The building, which dates from 1874, has been completely restored and renovated after lying derelict for four decades.

On St Patrick’s Day, March 17, the Bishop of Connor the Rt Rev Alan Abernethy will reopen and rededicate the schoolhouse when he visits at 11.30am.

The schoolhouse was built by Robert Young of Market Street for the sum of £870, and was run by the church as a school. During the war it was used as a billet by the army, and was closed as a school under the Education Act in the 1940s.

St Patrick’s continued to use it as a parish hall until 1973 when the new Parish Centre was opened.

After that the schoolhouse fell into a state of disrepair. It was on the ‘Buildings at Risk’ register for many years and is part of Ballymoney’s Conservation Area, but despite requests by the church it was never listed by the Department of the Environment.

The refurbishment to bring to school back into use for both church and community comes …read more

Read the full article here: http://connor.anglican.org/2015/03/06/new-lease-life-old-ballymoney-church-school/


Submit a Comment