Celebrating 175 years of Groomsport Parish Church

Advent Sunday 2017 was a significant day in the life and history of Groomsport Parish as the congregation and guests celebrated the 175th anniversary of the building of the Church.

The Church was designed by the noted Irish architect Sir Charles Lanyon and was established in 1842 as a Chapel of Ease for the Perceval–Maxwell family of Finnebrogue, who summered in Groomsport. Within 10 years Groomsport had been granted Parish status.

The 175th celebrations brought together the great, great, great grandson of Robert Perceval–Maxwell, Bill, and his cousin Norrys, as well as a previous Rector, Canon Derek Tyney and his…

Read full article at ireland.anglican.org


Submit a Comment